A New Year – A Fresh Start
After another successful year, UCC Athletics continues to work and train hard. Following a busy summer, with many competitions taking place on the track and field, the athletes from the club are already gearing up for the coming year!
Congratulations to our Women’s Cross Country Team, who won the IUAAs last year!
UCC Athletics is always very welcoming of newcomers, who wish to get involved, whether it’s recreational or competitive. It’s great to see so much interest in and support for the club.
This year is looking to be very exciting as we have a lot of major events coming up.
- The long-distance athletes are preparing for the Irish Universities Road Relay Championships. The event is hosted by NUI-Maynooth Athletics Club in mid to late November every year.
- Women compete in a four leg relay over 1-2-2-1 miles, while men compete in a five leg relay over 1-2-3-2-1 miles. This first eventalways has a great turn-out and is also a great opportunity for new athletes to take part. There are no limitations as to how many teams from a college can enter!
- In early 2016, the Indoor Varsities will take place in Athlone. For many track and field athletes, this will be their first competition, following an intense winter training period.
- The season will conclude with the Outdoor Track and Field Varsities event, which will take place in NUIG. We are hoping for many UCC students to come along and support us!
- It is also Olympics Year! As we look forward to Rio 2016, it will be an important year for Athletics globally!